Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Warning - This Post is not for the Fainthearted

I know my readers are completely sick of my attic finds by now, but thought I would subject you to yet another post.  This one is off the subject somewhat because I'm still working on a rather difficult post about Financing a Home in Suburbia in 1916 - another Then and Now post.  Yeah, sounds intriguing doesn't it?  That's why I'm not posting it until I can fluff it up a little to beat out all the boring details.  But you won't believe how similar the headlines are to today's news - right down to savings and loan bailouts, 2nd and 3rd mortgages and borrowing more than you can pay back.  Fascinating stuff...stay tuned....

I thought I should put the warning in the title above for what you are about to see is sad for doll lovers everywhere.  This is another attic find from the far reaching corners of my attic - which by the way the old attic has been in existence since 1919.

This little gal was tucked away in a box and when I opened the box, I gasped because there was a pair of beautiful eyes staring at me - along with a few dismembered body parts.  I took her out of the box, took a few snapshots and listed her on Ebay with a starting bid of $65.  I was immediately contacted by a buyer from Japan who asked me if I would do a Buy it Now.  For those of you who are not familiar with Ebay, you can post an item as an auction that will take days to be bid off or you can post it with the price you want for it and it can be bought immediately.  I'm always a little leery of these "Buy it Now" buyers, because they usually want you to sell it to them for a rock bottom price so there won't be any bidders on it to make it go higher.


I had researched these dolls before I listed it and had found that with her markings she was made by the famous doll maker Armand Marseilles in Germany sometime between 1885 and 1902.  She has a bisque head and a composition body with jointed limbs that are strung together by some sort of string system.  Armand Marseilles made only the head and used other doll manufacturer's bodys.  This one's body is a little more desirable because the limbs are more porportioned than some others.   Armand Marseille dolls were fairly common and thus are lower priced than most antique dolls so they have made doll collecting possible for people with limited budgets and created some lovely dolls!

I also checked prices that the dolls had sold for recently and found that dolls like these found in various states of disrepair sell between $100 and $125 for the 20 - 24" sizes.  I didn't find this particular size but assumed it would go a little higher because of the size and the better grade body.  She's 30 inches tall and in really good condition with no cracks or breaks other than needing to be re-strung.   

I asked the bidder what she thought would be a fair price for me to sell it to her for and she messaged me back that she would be willing to pay much higher than I thought she would bring.  Needless, to say, I hurried up and accepted her offer.  Maybe she was worth more or maybe she was worth less - but I'm just glad she's no longer confined to the attic and will get the much needed repairs.  With that beautiful smile, she deserves much more than isolation in a forgotten box with legs and head unattached to her body.  She will be traveling to her new owner in Japan in the next couple of days.  I'm happy for her and hope that she will get a complete makeover and sit in a chair by a window with a nice view and live happily ever after.  A fairy tale ending after all.

This is a restored Armand Marseilles doll

I'm sure she'll look something like this when she's restored.  Much better than being stuffed in a box in the attic.


Linking to:  Vintage Thingy Thursday
and The Brambleberry Cottage's Time Travel Thursday

7 comments:

  1. I saw the title as a Challenge!!

    My mother used to make dolls so I was interested in your article - she took me along once to one of the courses she went on, I enjoyed it and made a couple for my daughter but never really got the 'Bug'

    I remember seeing a programme once about grown women who bought dolls that looked like real babies and then pushed them around in prams etc. It was a little scarey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had a doll. They are making them that look so real. It is almost scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so pretty. I had a bit of doll collection as a girl - which still lives at my parents' house - and her face reminds me of a china doll I need to get restrung. (Her limbs are flopping all over the place.) Congrats on getting a good price for her as well as a new home. I think your financing house article sounds pretty interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's lovely! Sounds like she's going to a home where she'll be loved.

    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Glenda,
    Oh, is that your doll? How fascinating to read this LOVELY girl kind of revived. Thank you for sharing her fairy tale.
    I hope you are saying that the Japanese bidder was a kind person.
    I have one western doll myself and I wish to write about her someday♡♡♡
    Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Glenda. What a fascinating story about that poor, forlorn doll, sitting in your attic for goodness knows how long. Like you, I hope she will have a very happy life once she has been lovingly restored.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!